The Business Immigration Program (Investors, Entrepreneurs or Self-Employed) is a program offered by the Canadian and Quebec governments to encourage the immigration of experienced business people. Business immigrants are initially granted permanent resident status that can lead to Canadian citizenship. This legal status (permanent resident) gives them the right to live, work and conduct business anywhere in Canada as a Canadian citizen. Without forgetting that business people wishing to immigrate to Canada or Quebec can benefit from a tax exemption of at least five (5) years.
With regard to this category of immigration, it is important to note that there are dual selection regulations: business people intending to settle in the province of Quebec are selected according to criteria that differ from those who wish to settle elsewhere in Canada. Our experienced team will conduct a double evaluation of your profile in order to determine your province of destination and thus maximize your chances of success.
On the other hand, regardless of whether the province of your destination is Quebec or elsewhere in Canada, the following criteria will determine whether a foreign national (candidate) is eligible for permanent resident status as a business person:
Investor Program for Quebec:
In order to qualify under the Québec investor program, potential applicants must
- Have net assets of at least $2,000,000 CAD (Two Million Canadian Dollars) that have been acquired through lawful economic activities, excluding donations received in the last 6 months;
- Sign an investment agreement for CAD $1,200,000 (One Million Two Hundred Thousand Canadian Dollars) with a licensed financial intermediary;
- Have a minimum of 2 years of management experience (within the last 5 years) in a profitable and lawful business, or in a lawful professional business, where the investor has employed the equivalent of 2 full-time employees, or in an international or governmental organization;
- Intending to settle in Quebec.
Under the Québec investor program, net assets may be the sum of the assets of the principal applicant and his or her spouse or common-law partner. This is not the case for the federal investor program.
Investor Program for Canada (federal):
In order to qualify under the federal investor program, potential applicants must demonstrate:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience (within the last 5 years) in the management of a company or in a management position where you have successfully managed at least 5 full-time employees (or a combination of both);
- Have net assets of at least $1,600,000 CDN legally obtained;
- Sign an investment agreement for CAN $800,000 with a licensed financial intermediary;
All business immigration applicants (investors) will have to pass a medical examination and security and criminality checks before being granted permanent resident status.